This group is a copy of an original model entitled The Boy with Swan, which was exhibited at the Berlin Academy by Theodor Kalide (1801-1864) in 1834. Two years later he exhibited the same model in bronze. In 1849 a model was positioned on Peacock Island, but by 1851 it appears to have been removed, for in the Art-Journal's illustrated catalogue to the 1851 Great Exhibition, the copy exhibited, which was awarded a medal, is described as being from 'the gardens of Charlottensberg, the summer residence of the King of Prussia'. Unfortunately, Kalide's bronze has since disappeared. A zinc copy, cast by Moritz Geiss (1805-1875) and signed, may be found in the Italian Gardens, Osborne House, the Isle of Wight.