James Pulham (1820-1898) established a garden ornament manufactory in Broxbourne, Hertfordshire, in 1843, which continued in business until 1945. Pulham developed a highly durable clay based artificial stone, comparable to the terracotta mediums developed by Coade and Blashfield, and also a cement based artificial stone.
The company was also granted a Royal warrant for its work for the Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) at Sandringham in 1895.
John Davis, Antique Garden Ornament, Antique Collectors Club 1991, page 186.
Christie's London, The Secret Courtyard, Seago Collection, 9 June 1999, lots 106-108.