An Excavated Temple in the Island of Salsette (Abbey 420 no.54; Archer V, pl.3)
The Interior of an Excavated Hindoo Temple, in the Island of Salsette (Abbey 420 no. 63; Archer V, pl.12)
Part of the Kanaree Caves, Salsette (Abbey 420 no.62; Archer V, pl.11)
hand-coloured aquatints, the first December 1799, the second and third June 1800, [all watermarked 'J.Whatman'], on thick paper, occasional unobtrusive light spotting, particularly affecting title margin to third plate
P.515 x 730; 525 x 730; 525 x 730mm.
July 1793: The first two plates depict the Great Chatya Temple at Kanheri on the island of Salsette, with its magnificent portico and domed interior. The temple dates from about AD 150, the giant Buddhas being added some 350 years later.
The third plate shows the Kanheri cave which "appears immediately on the right hand of the entrance to the large Temple". Its carvings also date from about AD 500. The artist shown sketching in this plate may well be James Wales, through whom the Daniells had come to know about the caves. It was on another visit to Kanheri in 1795 that Wales caught the fever from which he died. (3)