Donald McNarry was born in London in 1921. Originally, he took up model making as a hobby, and began exhibiting his 100' = 1" models at the Model Engineer Exhibition in 1935, in the junior section. He exhibited at the Model Engineering Exhibit from 1935 - 1953, winning awards consitently throughout this period. Considered "the master" of extreme miniature shipbuilding by his peers, his contributions to the art form has been enormous, and he has been instrumental in raising the overall standards expected from small-scale ship modeling. His original desire was to build miniature ships rather than ship models. McNarry has built approximately 350 models of historical ships covering the period from 700 B.C. to the late 1960s. His styles of presentation include scenic, waterline, full-hull and the traditional Navy Board type. With very few exceptions, they are all to the extreme miniature scales ranging from 100' = 1" to 16' = 1". Donald McNarry has found the time to contribute on a regular basis to Model Shipwright and other journals as well as publishing three books: Ship Building in Miniature, Conway Maritime Press, 1955 & 1982; Ship Models in Miniature, Praeger Publishers, 1975; and Royal Yachts in Miniature, 1996. Mr. McNarry's works are widely collected by both institutions and private collectors, and can be seen by the public in the United States at the Peabody Essex Museum, Smithsonian Institution, Mystic Seaport Museum, The Mariners' Museum and the Naval Academy Museum, Annapolis, MD.
We thank R. Michael Wall for the biographical information.
C.S.S. Colonel Lamb, a 1788-ton side-wheel steamer, was built at Liverpool, England, in 1864 for employment running the Federal blockade of the Confederate coast. She successfully ran into the port of Wilmington, North Carolina, in late November 1864 and escaped back to sea the next month. In January 1865, with east coast blockade running at an end, she went to the Gulf of Mexico but was found unsuitable for operation into Galveston, Texas, and returned to England a few months later. Reportedly sold to Greek interests and renamed Bouboulina, she was destroyed in an explosion while loading munitions at Liverpool in 1866 or 1867.