Lieutenant-Colonel Philip Claude Tresilian Davy, [C.M.G.], was born at Ottery St. Mary, Devon in August 1877 and qualified in medicine at University College Hospital, London. Appointed a Lieutenant in the Royal Army Medical Corps in July 1904, he served in Sierra Leone between 1905-06 and, as a Captain, in India between 1908-12.
Davy served with the B.E.F. from the outbreak of hostilities and was taken Prisoner of War on 16.9.1914, his subsequent deeds in a P.O.W. camp resulting in the award of his St. John Gold Medal for Lifesaving, almost certainly in connection with an outbreak of typhoid or cholera. Exchanged in July 1915, and advanced to Major in the same month, he went on to witness further active service in the Egyptian Theatre of War, initially as C.O. of No. 27 General Hospital and, as a newly promoted Acting Lieutenant-Colonel, No. 17 General Hospital from 1917. In addition to being awarded the C.M.G., he was Mentioned in Despatches (London Gazette 2.11.1916 refers).
Davy remained a Regular Officer of the R.A.M.C. at the end of hostilities, served on attachment to the Egyptian Government between 1919-23, back in Aldershot between 1924-27 and in India between 1928-32, when he was placed on Half-Pay as a substantive Lieutenant-Colonel. Rejoining the Colours in September 1939, he served as C.O. of a unit in Northern Command until once more reverting to the Retired List in early 1942.