Repulse was an ancient name in the annals of the Royal Navy and the vessel which bore it throughout the Napoleonic era of the French Revolutionary Wars was a worthy addition to the list of those which had preceded her. A third rate mounting 74 guns, the new Repulse was the nameship of a class of eleven vessels which, between them, saw extensive service with varous fleets across the world.
Built in Barnard's yard at Deptford to a design by Sir William Rule, Repulse was ordered in February 1800 and laid down in September the same year. Measured at 1,727 tons and 174 feet in length with a 47 foot beam, she was launched on 21st July 1803 and completed for sea soon afterwards. Her principal armament comprised 28-32pdrs. on her gundeck and 28-18pdrs. on her upper deck and she was manned by a crew of 590 officers, seamen and boys. Her first action was less than auspicious when, serving with Sir Robert Calder's squadron, she took part in the indecisive battle with the French fleet off Rochefort on 22nd July 1805. Despite the opportunity afforded him, Calder failed to exploit the situation on the day and the two following, with the result that he was subsequently court-martialled for his lack of spirit. By comparison, Sir John Duckworth's forceful passage through the Dardanelles on 19th February 1807, in which Repulse played her part, was regarded as a significant blow to Turkey which lost eleven ships-of-the-line destroyed and two others captured.
On 31st August 1810, Repulse was cruising off Toulon when she came upon the brig-sloop Philomel shadowing some French storeships trying to make the nearby port. When Philomel was attacked by a French frigate squadron sent out in support of the storeships, Repulse came to her aid and sent three frigates scurrying back to their anchorage in a splendid show of force which caused Philomel's captain to signal his thanks in a message reading "You REPULSED the enemy and nobly saved us." Continuously at sea until peace came in 1815, Repulse did not survive much longer and was broken up in 1820.