Commissioned in 1735, 'The Doctor's Visit to the Emperor' is the second design drawn by Cornelis Pronk for the Dutch East India Company, the first being 'La Dame au Parasol' in 1734. Due to the expense of transferring the subject onto porcelain, the volume of Pronk's work is small and only two orders of this design were believed to have been placed: the first was carried to the Netherlands on the Hogersmilde at the end of 1738, followed by the second order in the next year. A simplified version of the design, which excludes the standing man, was sent to Canton in 1739. See C.J.A. Jrg, op.cit., 1980, pp.26-31 for a discussion on this design.
Two basins, for use with large urns decorated with Pronk's design 'The Archer' are in the Rijksmuseum, illustrated by Christian J. A. Jrg, op.cit., 1997, nos. 332 and 333, where the author notes that "Basins of this shape were used in conjunction with an urn for hand-washing or to cool wine".