James Loggie joined the Royal Navy as a volunteer in 1733. He was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant in May 1741 and advanced to Commander in 1756. In November 1756 he was appointed to command His Majesty's sloop Peregrine, which was part of a small force of ships protecting British interests off the Portugese coast, cruising between Lisbon, Oporto and Vigo. In 1757 the Peregrine and HMS Dover and Deal Castle and a number of British privateers were engaged in the escort of a convoy of 45 merchantmen sailing from Oporto to England. According to the log of the Peregrine he rendered assistance to several of the vessels along the voyage during which none of the ships fell victim to the French privateers. The convoy reached the Lizard on the 10th August and no doubt it was in gratitude of this accomplishment that Loggie was presented with this cup and cover. At the end of the Seven Years War Loggie was given the command of the Burford, the Plymouth guardship. However he lost his sight soon after receiving the appointment and left the service with a pension of ¨200 per annum. He died in 1779.
The sloop Peregrine was orginally constructed as a galley by Lord Carmarthen in 1700. She past into the possession of King George I in 1714 and was renamed the Caroline. In 1733 she was rebuilt as a yacht with the name Royal Caroline and in 1749 she was re-rated as a sloop and given the name Peregrine. She sank in 1762 whilst on her way to the West Indies.
Although British merchants had been operating from at least the later years of the 16th century, the first mention of a 'Factory' in Oporto is not until 1666. 'Factories" were trading houses set up by European Traders to facilitate their operations abroad and with the British dominating the Port wine trade, Portugal was of major importance. The various trades were in fact deemed to be of such importance that in 1741 the Admiralty instructed the commanders of His Majesty's ships stationed of the Portugese coast to obey the directions of the Oporto Factory and to be entirely at their disposal. It is evident that at various times the Factory had reason to be especially grateful to the Royal Navy. Apart from the present cup and cover, a silver salver was presented in 1742 to Captain Thomas Williams 'for his vigilant and effectual Protection on the Coast of Portugal from Spanish Privateers', and in 1762 a cup and cover was presented to Captain The Hon. Frederick Maitland.
For further information see John Delaforce CBE, The Factory House at Oporto, London, 1990