Provenance: Sold Christies, 30th April 1981, lot 113.
This is one of a group of about fifteen chargers discussed by Sutherland-Graeme, Pewter Restoration chargers, June 1942, in which he speculates they were made to commemorate the marriage of Charles and Catherine of Braganza in 1662 rather than the earlier belief that they commemorated the Restoration of the Monarchy, however there is at least one similar charger commemorating the Restoration which is accordingly inscribed.
Other examples are illustrated in Cotterell, Old Pewter, Plate 53e without the portrait medallions; The Worshipful Company of Pewterers Collection, No. 100. (exhibited Pewterers Hall, July 1974, Pewterware with Royal Associations, cover.) and The Colonial Williamsburg, No.26. which had been in the Cooper collection purchased from Richard Mundey, then sold Sotheby's July 25th 1974. It had been illustrated by Michaelis, Antique Pewter of the British Isles, Fig.77