Jean Lombard (1912-1988)
From 1939-1983 the shop of the well-known Genevan jeweller was first situated at 5, rue de la Corraterie and later in 1971 moved to 19, rue de la Cité in Geneva. His passion for rare and beautiful jewels and bibelots started in the 1930ies and lasted for half a century. He dedicated himself not only to collecting and conserving historic "objets d'art", but also to the creation of both new "objets d'art" pieces and jewellery. Much inspired by the Renaissance, he devoted himself to creating and giving splendour to old jewellery. His workshop were amongst others famous for high quality French and Russian gold- and silversmith work. Shortly after World War II he started a fruitful cooperation and long-lasting friendship with Carl Théodor Fabergé the grandson of Peter Carl Fabergé; cooperation which would last for 20 years and during which a number of exquisite and remarkable pieces were created. Jean Lombard received the most informed and refined collectors and was fournisseur of H.M. the Queen Frederica of Greece and H.M. the King Farouk of Egypt. Even after his retirement in 1983, Jean Lombard continued creating until his death in 1988.