The cistern formerly belonged to the Hon. Mrs Aileen Plunket, who acquired the Luttrellstown estate in 1930, and from the late 1940s was assisted in the embellishment of the Castle by the celebrated artist decorator Felix Harbord (d. 1981), who had trained in the architectural office of Sir Albert Richardson. The cistern would have been appropriate furnishings for the Georgian dining room, which was enriched in the Kentian manner (the cistern is illustrated in J. Cornforth, 'Luttrellstown Castle, Co. Dublin', Country Life, 22 March 1984, fig. 5). The Kilkenny marble works were managed by William Colles around 1800.
This Kilkenny shale cistern is almost certainly the product of William Colles's marble works in Kilkenny, founded in the 1730s and cisterns, table tops and chimneys etc were all noted as being produced by them through the 18th Century.
We are grateful to Desmond FitzGerald, The Knight of Glin, for the above information.