Michael Butler, from a family of Dublin cabinet-makers, is recorded at 26, 126 and 127 Upper Abbey Street, between 1885-1903, then as Michael Butler Ltd, Antique Galleries, from the same address between 1904-1912. His firm specialized in reproducing Irish 18th Century mahogany furniture. One of Butler's most prestigious commissions was to furnish the Viceregal Lodge in 1903, in preparation for a state visit. Other patrons of his included the Earl of Abercorn, the Earl and Countess of Coventry, the Countess of Clonmell and the Duke and Duchess of Connaught, who bought furniture for Clarence House.
A satinwood sideboard bearing the M. Butler label and stencil, was sold anonymously, Sotheby's London, 9 May 1996, lot 45. M. Butler was also one of Lord Iveagh's principle furniture suppliers, and a mahogany triple chair-back settee bearing his label, was sold by The Earl of Iveagh, Eleveden Hall, Norfolk, Christie's house sale, 21-24 May 1984, lot 388.