John Mack (d.1829) originally founded the firm of Mack and Gibton with Willam Gibton circa 1803 in Stafford Street, Dublin. In 1806, the firm were appointed 'Upholsterers & Cabinet Makers to His Majesty. His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant, and his Majesty's Board of Works'. The partnership of Mack, Williams and Gibton was officially established in 1812, after the death of Robert Gibton, who was succeded by his son William, and with the addition of Zachariah Williams, From 1815 onwards, the firm began to stamp or label their furniture and on the death of Mack, they were known as Williams and Gibton until Gibton's death in 1842.
This table has several characterstics that are associated with the Dublin firm of Mack, Williams and Gibton including the thickly reeded edge to the top and the thick baluster columns. The firm is recognised for the superb timbers employed and their high quality of workmanship. Much of the furniture they produced was inspired by designs published by Thomas Hope and George Smith.
See Dublin Directories and Trade Labels, The Knight of Glin, Furniture History, 1985, pp.270-271, figs. 25-28.