This golden sphere-mirrored sconce with Roman eagles is designed in the early 19th Century antique manner popularised by Thomas Sheraton's Cabinet Dictionary, 1783, and George Smith's Collection of Designs for Household Furniture and Interior Decoration, 1808. It bears the label of the Dublin carver and gilder Richard Jackson (1786-1827), whose celebrated 'looking glass warehouse' at 5 Essex Bridge had been established in George II's reign. This label is recorded on a pair of sconces in the collection of Hugh Massey, Esq., at Stoneville, Co. Limerick (The Knight of Glin, 'Dublin Directories and Trade Labels', Furniture History, 1985, p. 267, and fig. 14). A pair of convex girandoles with the Jackson of Dublin label, as well as an inscription on the reverse, 'Arthur Williams Sept 29 1807', was sold anonymously, in these Rooms, 13 November, 1997, lot 124.