The successful partnership of Mack, Williams and Gibton was formed in around 1812 and the firm flourished under this name until the death of John Mack in 1829. The firm is recognized for the superb timbers employed and their high quality of workmanship which is often compared to Gillows of Lancaster and London. Much of the furniture they produced was inspired by designs published by Thomas Hope and George Smith. The original partners John Mack and Robert Gibton are listed in the Dublin directories individually from 1784 and 1790, respectively, and appear to have come into partnership from 1803. They were appointed 'Upholsterers & Cabinet Makers to his Majesty, His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant and His Majesty's Board of Works' in 1806 and the firm retained this Royal Warranty for many years, supplying and restoring furniture for important public buildings in Ireland including the Four Courts, the War office, the Barracks Office, Dublin Castle and the Treasury and Viceregal Lodge. Some of their more distinguished private commissions include Ballynegall, Co.Westmeath, Oakley Park, Co.Meath and Strokestown, Co.Roscommon.
Other related three-pedestal tables attributable to this firm include an example from Stackallan House, Co.Meath, sold Christie's house sale, 20 October 1992, lot 129 and another sold by the Wilson family, Hinton, Londonderry, sold Christie's London, 23 April 1998, lot 112.
The firm regularly labeled their furniture, and used a system of an impressed four digit number together with a letter, which appears on the top of the pedestals on this table. Other labeled pieces by Mack, Williams and Gibton sold at auction include a center table from Ballynegall sold Christie's London, 23 April 1998, lot 119, and a side table, sold Sotheby's London, 16 May 1996, lot 37.