Architectural models like the following several lots are part of the long tradition of Grand Tour momentos popularized during the 18th Century by the mi lordi who travelled throughout Italy. The fine quality of the detailing of these lots attests to this lineage by appealing to the aristocratic, educated and well-travelled dilitanti.
The Campanile of Pisa Cathedral, now best known at the Leaning Tower of Pisa, was begun in 1174 but was not completed until the 14th century. Like most Italian bell towers, the Pisa Campinile is free standing, an architectural source for local pride. Indeed the Italian term for local chauvanism is campanilismo.