This Istrian chimneypiece is after the original in the Doges Palace, Venice by Tullio and Antonio Lombardo of the 16th century. Augusto Pedrini Il Mobilio, gli Ambienti e le decorazioni del Rinascimento in Italia, Genoa, 1969. fig.498, p.203.
The Venetian artist Giovanni Zamolo exhibited a chimneypiece of near identical design at the Italian Court of the 1867 Paris Exhibition, illustrated in The Art Journal Catalogue of the Paris Universelle Exposition of 1867, London, 1867, p.207. A similar Istrian chimneypiece features at Temple Newsam House, Leeds, (Christopher Gilbert Furniture at Temple Newsam and Lotherton Hall, 1978, cat.no.198, p.155), others are at Warwick Castle and at Powerscourt in Ireland. A chimneypiece of similar design is illustrated in the trade catalogue Examples of Furniture and Decoration, p.236, No.P.4505, issued by Gillows of Lancaster circa 1910.