The particular scalopped shape of the scrolled entwined leaves to the framing panels and to the corner of the central medallion is somehow reminiscent of the work carried out in the Grand Ducal workshops under the supervision of Giovan Battista Foggini. Interestingly, this top combines Roman taste of pietra dura tops with their sample collections of marbles arranged into a geometrical pattern, here seen as a radiating motif to the centre of the top, and Florentine typology with its scrolled foliate borders. Naples has a long tradition of pietre dure manufacturing, influenced by Roman and Florentine traditions, and most particularly going back to the manufactory created by Carlos VII of Bourbon (1716-1788), King of Naples and Sicily and future King Carlos III of Spain. The extensive church-building programme instituted in Counter-Reformation Naples attracted a large number of marble-workers. Small marble table tops of similar size were created in large number for churches. These were often presented on a marble baluster-shaped support, as for example one in S. Teresa degli Studi church in Naples, illustrated in A.M. Giusti, Pietre Dure, London, 1992, p.225, fig.82.