J. Balogh, Katalog der Auslndischen Bildwerke des Museums der Bildenden Knste in Budapest, Budapest, 1975, pp. 74-5, no. 72, plate 98
U. Middeldorf, Sculptures from the Samuel H. Kress Collection, European Schools XIV - XIX Century, London, 1976, pp. 31-2, fig. 60
The marble original of this composition is now in the National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C. [K.1976]. Formerly attributed to Antonio Rossellino, the composition was then given to Benedetto da Maiano (1442-97) with the endorsement of Middeldorf and Balogh. The closest parallel, though slightly maturer, is his Madonna over the altar of the Chapel of Santa Fina in San Gimignano (1475). A great many replicas exist, in various media such as maiolica and stucco. A related example in stucco is recorded in Budapest.