Pietro and Giuseppe della Valle were arguably the foremost scagliola artists of the mid-19th century. The brothers received silver and bronze medals in the exhibitions in Florence in 1839, 1841 and 1844, while one of their tables was honored in the Great Exhibition in London in 1851. Their workshop in Livorno appears to have closed between 1865 and 1873. The address indicated on the label to the reverse of this top, 1.473 per Porta Cappuccini Leghorn (Livorno), appears to have been used towards the end of their activity, and is a strong indicator that much of their trade was with English Grand Tour tourists.
A scagliola table bearing the same label, previously in the collection of Sir Adrian Beecham, Bt., Clopton House, Stratford-on-Avon, was sold anonymously Christie's, London, 24 April 1980, lot 134. A circular scagliola top with identical border ornament but centered by a recumbent lion is also signed by the Della Valle brothers and illustrated in A.M. Massinelli, Scagliola, l'arte della pietra di luna, Rome, 1993, p. 47.