The Capitoline Venus was first recorded by the antiquarian Pietro Santi Batoli in Circa 1670-6, when it was believed to have been found in the gardens of the Stazi family, during the pontificate of Clement X.
The antique marble was purchased by Benedict XIV in 1752 from the Stazi family and presented to the Capitoline Museum in Rome, hence its name. The well preserved statue was most admired during the late 18th and early 19th centuries, eclipsing the Florentine Medici Venus, particularly by Flaxman and Winckelmann. The latter encouraged his students to study the Venus, and various copies were executed at this time, the most notable being that by Chinard, while the Venus was in France, for Napoleon. In 1797 the statue was, in fact ceded to the French under the Treaty of Tolentino, it took part in the Triumphal Procession of July 1798 and was displayed in the Musée Central des Arts. It was returned to Rome in 1816. A cast was also sent to the Society of Fine Arts in New York, and by 1822 a copy of the Venus was installed as a fountain in the Florentine palace of Prince Borghese.