The gilt-embossed paper lining the drawers of this bureau plat are by Georg Christoph Stoy (1670 - 1750), one of the most important manufacturors of this type of paper. On the 7th of January 1709 he received the Emperor's privilege. The manufacture of gilt embossed paper is known since the 15th Century, and was produced untill the 18th Century, when it enjoyed its greatest popularity. It was mainly used to line book bindings, but also to line the interior of furniture, and even as wall-paper where it formed a cheaper alternative to gilt embossed leather. There are several stamped examples of Stoy's work in the Olga Hirsch collection of Decorated papers in the British Library and in the Bavarian state library in Munich.
Cf. A. Haemmerle, Buntpapier, Herkommen - Geschichte - Techniken - Beziehungen zur Kunst, Munich, 1977.
J.F. Heybrok, Sierpapier, The Hague, 1994.