This banqueting service, reminiscent of classical porcelain produced during the reign of Catherine II, was created for the Grand Duke Alexander Alexandrovich (1845-1894) specifically for the Anichkov Palace in St Petersburg. The service was first produced in the 1860s and was later augmented during the reign of Alexander III. Further examples are illustrated in N. B. von Wolf (ed. V.V. Znamenov), Imperatorskii Farforovyi Zavod, 1744-1904, St Petersburg, 2008, p. 578.