8 July 1999
AN ORMOLU-MOUNTED TULIPWOOD AND AMARANTH SECRETAIRE
Constructed in the 19th Century using the carcase of a Rgence commode
Quarter-veneered overall, the later canted rectangular top with three-quarter pierced Vitruvian-scroll gallery above a long drawer with fruiting laurel band and above a panelled fall-front enclosing eight short drawers and two husk-trails, above the lower section with a lappeted rim and three long drawers, each simulated as two, with lion's mask and drapery handles, the angles with maiden's masks above oak-leaf bases, on scrolling foliate feet, the bottom drawer previously fitted, the back with inventory number 'AR578'
53 in. (135 cm.) high; 46 in. (117 cm.) wide; 20 in. (52 cm.) deep
Rothschild inv. no. AR578.
Contact Client Service
New York +1 212 636 2000
London +44 (0)20 7839 9060
Asia +852 2760 1766
Prof. E. Schaffran, 'New Acquisitions by The Vienna Museum of Austrian Applied Art', Connoisseur, April 1955, p. 186.
Ahead of an online sale that honours their close bond, Meredith Etherington-Smith traces the roots of a 40-year collaboration
The artist tells us about his meticulous recreation of a child’s toy in a work that became an instant icon when it debuted at the Whitney Museum in New York in 2014