Ordered in 1909, Kaiser was the nameship of a class of five super- Dreadnoughts comprising S.M. Schiffs Prinzregent Luitpold; Kaiser; König Albert; Friedrich der Grosse and Kaiserin. Measuring 565 feet 7 inches long, and with a 95 foot beam, they displaced 24,330 tons, the largest -- and at a cost of around 45 million marks each -- the most expensive capital ships in the Hochseeflötte. Completed in approximately three years, they were the first class of Dreadnought to be fitted with super-firing turrets (allowing a reduction in the number of turrets without loss of fire power), and turbines as standard. Laid down at Kiel Navy Yard in December 1909, Kaiser (with Parson's turbines) was capable of 23.4 knots and was crewed by forty-one officers and 1,043 men. At the outbreak of War in 1914 she was attached to the Third Battle Squadron, serving at Jutland in 1916 (one killed, one injured), the Baltic Islands and the second Battle of Heligoland Bight in 1917. Scuttled with the rest of the fleet at Scapa Flow in 1919, Kaiser was raised and scrapped in 1929.