This peaceful view is now part of the Oud-West district of Amsterdam, at the end of the present-day Karthuizersstraat. The Zaagmolenpoort (Sawmill gate), which has since disappeared, would have been behind the sandbank to the right. The area was developed by the city fathers as part of the expansion of the early 17th Century. By 1645 there were 36 mills in the area and by 1660 the number had grown to 61 (B. Bakker et al., Landscapes of Rembrandt: His favourite walks, Amsterdam, 1998, p. 65). The view as drawn by Waterloo does not seem to be topographically exact, but has been slightly 'improved' for the sake of the composition. The group of sawmills near the Zaagmolenpoort was also drawn by Rembrandt in a sheet now in Copenhagen, datable 1651-54 (B. Bakker, op. cit., p. 359; Benesch 1335).