Located in the Piazza Maggiore, the Chuch of San Petronio is Bologna's main Church. It is dedicated to Saint Petronius, who was the Bishop of Bologna in the fifth century. Building started after a public competition in 1390, with the aim of building the greatest gothic church in Italy. Today it is the fifth largest church in the world. The façade remains unfinished, with only the lower half being covered with marble sculptures.