Renowned for carrying the body of Emperor Napoleon from St. Helena to Le Havre in July 1840, La Belle Poule, a frigate of the French Navy, was launched in Cherbourg in 1834. Modelled on the design of the U.S.S. Constitution, she was first commissioned in July 1835. On 1st August 1839, under the command of the Prince of Joinville, third son of King Louis-Philippe, she left Cherbourg to join the Eastern Fleet of Admiral Lalande.
In 1844, La Belle Poule, still under the command of Prince Joinville, by then Vice-Admiral, was sent to Morocco to support the action of General Thomas Robert Bugeaud in Algeria. Afterwards, whilst in the Indian Ocean, she was hit by a cyclone which left her with severe damage. After undergoing repairs in Madagascar, she returned to Brest. She took part in the Crimean War, mostly as a transport ship and remained in the East until August 1856. In 1859, she was used to transport ammunition. De-commissioned in 1861, she was still used as a gunpowder store until 1888.