Originally built at Barrow in 1889 for the Pacific Steam Navigation Company, Orotava was registered at 5,857 tons gross and measured 420 feet in length with a 49½ foot beam. A single-screw steamer, she had an operating speed of 14½ knots and accommodation for 126 First, 120 Second and 400 Third class passengers. After only two Liverpool to Valparaiso voyages, she passed to the Orient Line for their London to Australia service and ran until 1896 when she capsized in Tilbury docks. Raised and refurbished, she returned to service and continued her Australian sailings, apart from working as a Boer War transport (1899-1903), until 1909 when she transferred to the West Indies run. By then owned by the Royal Mail Line, she was withdrawn in 1914 for War service and was finally scrapped in 1919.