The prototype, signed, oil on canvas, 51.5 x 38.5 cm, is in the Gemäldegalerie, Dresden, inv. no.1829 (S.J. Gudlaugsson, Geraert ter Borch, 1959, II, p.151, no.141b, fig.2). As pointed out by Gudlaugsson, the composition derives either from the picture in the National Gallery, London (S.J. Gudlaugsson, op. cit., no.141) or from a lost original. Gudlaugsson proposes an attribution to Caspar Netscher for the Dresden picture.