Tring Park was extensively remodelled by the first Lord Rothschild, who acquired the estate in 1873. The original house was built by Henry Guy, Groom of the Bedchamber to Charles II to a design attributed to Sir Christopher Wren. Lord Rothschild encased the house within a mansard roofed exterior in the French taste. The present watercolour is possibly the pair to a sheet of comparable size but showing the house from another angle, attributed to Nattress, which was exhibited at the Clarendon Gallery, London, An Exhibition of Ecole des Beaux Arts Drawings and a Selection of English and Continental Architectural Drawings and Interiors, 1983, no. 73.