Accompanied by a certificate from the archives of Audemars Piguet. Martin Wehri, confirms that the archives of the firm record that the present watch was sold to the Metric Watch Co. in New York on November 15th of 1929. At this time, the Metric Watch Company were the exclusive distributors of Audemars Piguet in the United States.
Audemars Piguet produced approximately thirty-five minute repeating watches from 1906 through the 1920's, the majority intended to be cased as wristwatches. Included in this series is the famed wristwatch made for John Wallace Schaeffer, Vice President of the Allied Chemical Corporation, located in Morristown, New Jersey which was sold at auction in 1989 and is presently in the collection of the Audemars Piguet Museum. Of a similar design to this lot, the Schaeffer watch inspired the limited edition production by Audemars Piguet during the 1990's of the "John Schaeffer" model.
For examples of similar wristwatches produced by Audemars Piguet, see Brunner Pfeiffer-Belli and Wehrli, Audemars Piguet, pp. 254-262.
The present watch was originally purchased by Henry Haven Windsor, Jr., the son of the founder of Popular Mechanics magazine and an avid watch collector. After his father's death, when Windsor was 26 he became editor and publisher of the magazine, which had originally been founded in 1902. Under his leadership the circulation of Popular Mechanics increased to two million with an addition of four foreign editions. He also founded Popular Mechanics Press and Windsor Publishing and also owned, edited and published Science Digest.
In 1927 he was married to the Metropolitan Opera singer, Louise Hunter and together they had two sons, each of whom would go on to also work for the family magazine for a time. Popular Mechanics was sold by Windsor in 1958 to the Hearst Corporation, who still retains ownership of the publication to this day.
To the best of our knowledge, the present watch has never been offered before publicly.