No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.
ORDER OF SALE
Morning Session at 10.30 a.m.
The Library of William James 1-115
Continental Books 116-229
English Books 230-303
Illustrated Books and Art Reference 304-332
Afternoon Sesssion at 2.00 p.m.
Modern First Editions 333-350
Manuscripts and Autograph Letters 351-405
Travel and Topography 406-457
Maps and Atlases 458-494
Decorative Prints 495-514
Natural History and Science 515-574
The Library of William James
William Dodge James (1854-1912) was the third son of Daniel James, whose family wealth derived from the American mineral firm of Phelps, Dodge and Co. Daniel had returned to England in 1831, as the Liverpool resident partner of Phelps Dodge, and established his main residence at Woolton in Lancashire. Daniel had three sons by his second marriage to Sophia Hitchcock; all were educated in Harrow and came to live at Stanhope Street in London in the late 1870's. William, apparently, was of reasonably delicate health [DNB vol. x p.645) necessitating his wintering in warm climates and so in 1877-78 the brothers made their first sortie into the Sudan. Further trips abroad followed, often under the pretext of big game hunting, but they also collected flora and lepidoptera on their travels. Together they pursued game around the world, in Arabia, Ethiopia, India, the Arctic and Afghanistan. Adventurers of their day, they were the first Europeans to go into the interior of Somaliland in 1884. William's older brother Frank published various books on their hunting adventures, illustrated with William's photographs. Frank, like William, was also a collector of fine books and prints, and some of the books in the library carry his book plate.
In 1889 William married Evelyn Forbes, and in 1891 they set up their principal residence at West Dean, near Chichester in Sussex. Although William had inherited Stanhope Street and its contents after the tragic death of brother Frank in 1890 in Niger, it was West Dean that was completely remodelled; extending and adapting an earlier James Wyatt house. The process took many years and it wasn't until 1900 that the library was extravagantly refurbished in Louis XV1 style by Charles Mellier and Co. As befits an Edwardian gentleman, the library was fully restocked, incorporating a wide range of books on the arts, French and English literature, big game hunting and travel.
His father-in-law's connections enabled William to move in royal circles, and he was a friend of Edward VII and many other members of the Royal Family. At the turn of the 20th century Evelyn and William entertained on a lavish scale at West Dean, Evelyn becoming one of the leading hostesses of Edwardian Society. The library built up by William James played its part as a backdrop to the social whirl of those pre-war days, and the portion of it being offered here recalls the grandeur of Edwardian times.
MORNING SESSION AT 10.30 A.M.
The Library of William James
Sold by Order of the Trustees of West Dean College