Accompanied by a fine 18K gold flexible tubular chain comprised of inter-connecting links with circular discs with a star motif and with large silver presentation box with finely chased and engraved floral and foliage decoration, the four turned columns set with crowns, the hinged cover with a raised finial in the form of a bended fish, turned handles, the inside back cover with engraved inscription Souvenir presented to Maha Raj Lakshmiswar Singh Bahadur of Darbhanga on the occasion of his attaining his Majority and receiving his title from Government, by Maja Raj Krishna Pratap Sahee Bahadur of Hathua, as a mark of Friendship and Esteem. The box stamped with casemaker's mark "WBJ" for William & John Barnard and London date letter for
Maharaja Lakshmiswar Singh Bahadur, born on 25 September 1858, was the raj, or sovereign, of the Indian district of Darbhanga.
Paul Philip Barraud, born in London in 1752, founded the first "official" Barraud workshop. Several members of the Barraud family of 5 children were respected "horologers" including Paul Philip's father Francis Gabriel, to whom he was apprenticed in 1767. When Paul Philip died in 1820, the manufacture was taken over by his sons John and Frederick Joseph who moved "Barraud & Sons" to the 41 Cornhill address in 1830.
The firm was renamed "Barrauds & Lund" in 1838 when J.R. Lund was taken into the partnership and remained until 1864 when, after his dead, it was changed to "Barraud & Lunds", his sons then being in the business. The name continued but the address changed to 49 Cornhill in 1884.