Benjamin Maund (1790-1864)
The Botanic Garden. London: Baldwin & Cradock, Simpkin, Marshall & Co., Sherwood & Co., and Groombridge & Co., 1825[-1851]. 13 volumes, 4°. Letterpress titles, prefaces, indices. Engraved title to each volume, engraved dedication (in vol. IV), 312 hand-coloured engraved plates by S. Watts after Mrs. E. Bury, Miss S. Maund, Miss E. Maund, E. D. Smith and Mills, each plate showing four plants. (Five engraved titles spotted, some light spotting to a few plates.)
[With, three 4° volumes containing:] Benjamin MAUND. The Fruitist; a treatise on orchard and garden fruits. London: Groombridge and sons, [n.d.]. 72 engraved illustrations of fruit, printed in colours and finished by hand, each within printed ornamental border. [with:] The Auctarium. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co. and Groombridge & Sons, [1834-50]. [and:] The Floral Register. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co. and Groombridge & Sons, [1835-50]. Illustrations. Together 16 volumes, 4° (222 x 178mm). Contemporary green half morocco, spines in five compartments with raised bands, lettered or numbered in one, two or three compartments, most with date and author's name at foot of spine (occasional light rubbing). Provenance: Honora Legge (armorial bookplates).
A fine complete set of the first edition of the Botanic Garden and all Maund's supplemental publications. The Botanic Garden was published over a period of twenty-six years, in monthly numbers. Twelve numbers formed one part, and two parts formed one volume. The Floral Register, The Auctarium and The Fruitist were issued as supplements to the monthly parts of the main work at various times from 1834 until the completion in 1850. In the present set these supplemental works have been bound in three volumes, instead of the more usual five, and have had the general indices to the main work bound with them. The present copy of the Auctarium appears to be complete, it is here bound in three parts: Stafleu requires additional pages 1-96 at the end of part I, but from internal evidence this would appear to be a mistake.
Maund, botanist, pharmacist and bookseller, lived and worked in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire. In addition to his publishing enterprises he was a fellow of the Linnean Society from 1827 and served on the botanical committees of the Worcestershire Natural History Society. Most, if not all, of the original drawings for The Botanic Garden are now in the Natural History Museum in London. Dunthorne 198-200; Great Flower Books (1990) p.160; Nissen BBI 2222; Stafleu & Cowan 5712 & 5714-5. (16)