BIBLE, English. The Holy Bible containing the Old and New Testaments. Oxford: University Press, 1953.
Large 4o (327 x 245 mm). Title in red and black. Original red morocco by Sangorski & Sutcliffe after a design by Lynton Lamb, tooling by Ted Turner, covers with eight horizontal bands of five gilt and five blind fillets, interspersed with crowns and initials "ER," the upper cover with central white morocco lozenge inlaid with crowned E.II.R. cipher above the date 1953, lower cover with central gilt stamped arms of the Oxford University Press, dated 1953, spine in seven compartments with six raised bands, gilt-lettered in four, turn-ins ruled in gilt and blind, vellum doublures and flyleaves, gilt edges, together with the original prospectus, both in original gilt-lettered blue cloth folding case. Provenance: purchased from Philip C. Duschnes, 10 February 1954.
'OXFORD CORONATION LECTERN' EDITION, LIMITED EDITION OF 25 COPIES ON OXFORD INDIA PAPER, this copy number 15. A printed note at the front of the present work states that "This Bible is a replica of that presented to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II at her coronation except that it bears a Royal Cipher in the inlaid lozenge on the front cover in place of the Royal Arms." For a full discussion of this work see The Book Collector Summer 1953, p.139: "Composition began in February 1952 and the entire book was set by a single compositor. The Coronation copy was one of 25 copies on Oxford India paper, it being considered that a copy of the ordinary issue on thicker paper would be too bulky to handle with comfort." None of the 25 copies on India paper was intended for sale; the first was used for the Coronation and is now in Lambeth Palace Library, five were presented to Her Majesty the Queen, others were presented to Commonwealth Heads of State.
Bernard Middleton wrote of the binding "it combined modernity with elegance and symbolism. It was unquestionably contemporary, yet it did not lack the dignity which was essential" ("Craft Bookbinding in 1953", in Printing World, March 19, 1954).