BIGOT, Jean, Nicolas and Louis-Emery (1626-1689), Seigneurs de SOMMESNIL and DE CLEUVILLE and de MESMES family -- Gabriel MARTIN (1679-1761). Biblioteca Bigotiana, seu catalogus librorum... Paris: Jean Boudot, Charles Osmont and Gabriel Martin, 1st July, 1706.
5 parts in one volume, small 8o (163 x 100 mm). Contemporary quarter calf and marbled boards, spine gilt with red morocco lettering piece (some wear to joints and edges).
The first of the 148 catalogues compiled by Gabriel Martin in which he employs a novel bibliographical system (books grouped according to sizes, and within them, according to subjects); it lists two of the foremost French seventeenth-century libraries, including an important collection of Manuscripts. The Bigot family library was founded in Rouen early in the seventeenth century by Jean Bigot. He left his library to three of his sons, Jean, Nicolas and Louis-Emery (Emeric). The entire Bigot family library was sold in 1706 to the booksellers Boudot, Osmont and Martin, who at the same time had acquired the printed books, of the Mesmes family library, founded by Jean-Jacques de Mesmes (1490-1569). The Paris booksellers mixed them up with the Bigot books, and had a special tool made to cut out the Mesmes arms from the bindings, though some must have survived unscathed (see Guigard and Olivier, Hermal, De Roton). The 450 lots of Bigot Manuscripts, were bought for the Bibliothèque Royale. Blichet p. 69; Pollard & Ehrman, p.237 (in part incorrect as Ehrman did not own a copy of the catalogue); North 12; not in Blogie.