In 1926 Carlo Scarpa assumed the position of artistic director of M.V.M. Cappellin, founded the previous year by Giacomo Cappellin. This studio had emanated from the recently-closed foundry Cappellin Venini e Co., which under the artistic direction of Vittorio Zecchin had pioneered the development of minimalistic, architectural glass vessels delivered in clear or monochrome soffiati glass. Certain of these forms, including the present shape, continued to be part of the catalogue of the successor company, M.V.M. Cappellin. Working with highly experienced maestri offered Scarpa the opportunity to investigate and to master complex techniques, including this, the Fenicio, or Phoenician décor. This complex surface was derived by the hot application, to the body of the vessel, of thin bands of coloured vitreous paste that were combed to create swags.
The present lot is a scarce and exceptionally large example of an important technique that can be precisely dated to the very earliest period of Scarpa’s brilliance as a master of design in glass.