Accompanied by Cartier Certificate of Authenticity No. GE2003-210 dated 9 May 2003 confirming production of the present watch in 1929. Furthermore delivered with Cartier red leather presentation box.
The case of the watch is stamped with The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co. Ltd. hallmark, one of the leading English manufacturers and retailers of fine watches, silver and jewelery situated at 112 Regent Street, London. In 1952 the company merged with the renowned jeweler Garrard & Co.
The tonneau-shaped "tortue à pattes" or "turtle on legs" wristwatch was designed by Cartier around 1910. The shape of the case was made to resemble a turtle, a very popular animal during this era and symbol of good fortune and longevity in many civilisations.
In 1928, Cartier launched the single button chronograph wristwatch with a "tortue" case.
For a single button chronograph wristwatch illustrated in literature see The Cartier Museum at the Goldsmiths' Hall London, Exhibition 23rd May - 10th June 1988 catalogue, p. 50, pl. XXXVII. It is interesting to note that the watch of this exhibition was formerly owned by Edsel Ford, showing the respect and esteem this model enjoyed amongst international high society.
The model is furthermore illustrated in Le Temps de Cartier by Jader Barracca, Giampiero Negretti and Franco Nencini, pp. 164-165 and in Armbanduhren - 100 Jahre Entwicklungsgeschichte by Kahlert, Mühe, Brunner, fifth edition, p. 337, pl. 1024.