CHIPPENDALE, Thomas (1718?-1789). The Gentleman and Cabinet-Maker's Director: being a large collection of the most elegant and useful designs of household furniture. London: for the Author, and sold at his house... also by T. Becket and P.A. de Hondt, 1762.
2° (468 x 288mm). Letterpress title, 2pp. preface, 20pp. description of the plates. Engraved dedication to Prince William Henry, Duke of Gloucester and 200 engraved plates, all after Chippendale. (Light old dampstain to upper blank margin of several plates, 20mm. tear to lower blank margin of plate 155.) Contemporary diced russia gilt, covers with elaborately tooled gilt border of fillets, stylised foliage and large stylised shells, centrally placed gilt supra libros and motto of Charles Coote [Davenport p. 125], spine in eight compartments with raised bands, green morocco lettering-piece in the second, the others with repeated decoration made up from various small tools, marbled endpapers (neat repairs to joints, corners, head and foot of spine). Provenance: Nicholas Revett (1720-1804, manuscript note by Charles Coote on front blank: 'A select copy, brt. at Revett's sale June 27th. 1804') -- Charles Coote (1761-1835, binding and manuscript note).
A FINE COPY OF THE THIRD EDITION WITH AN EVOCATIVE PROVENANCE. This copy comes from the library of Nicholas Revett, the co-author of The Antiquities of Athens, one of the most influential 18th-century works on classical architecture, the first volume of which was also published in 1762. The subsequent owner Charles Coote had his gilt armorial added to the covers. Coote, a historian and biographer, was the son of the bookseller of the same name and wrote 'several historical works of much importance' according to Davenport. Chippendale's work was first published in 1754 (with 161 plates). It was an immediate success and a second edition followed in 1755. The present edition was the last to be published during Chippendale's lifetime. He revised and updated a number of the plates and added enough wholly new material to increase the total number of plates to 200 (8 explanatory plates and 192 plates of designs; plates 147 and 148 are misnumbered CXLVI and CXLVII respectively).