THE PROPERTY OF A DECEASED ESTATE
This and the following three lots were part of the renowned collection amassed by Prince Auguste d'Arenberg for the Palais d'Arenberg, formerly Palais d'Egmont, on the Place du Petit Sablon, Brussels, after his return from France in 1814. The collection was further enlarged by his son Prince Prosper d'Arenberg; it contained works by inter alia Rembrandt, including 'Tobias healing his blind father' of 1636 in the Staatsgalerie, Stuttgart (J. Bruyn e.a., A corpus of Rembrandt paintings, III, 1989, pp.551-6, no.C86, fig.1-3), Jan Steen, including the 'Marriage Feast at Canaan', present location unknown (B.D. Kirschenbaum, The religious and historical paintings of Jan Steen, 1977, pp.130-1, no.46, fig.96), Philips Koninck, including the riverlandscape now in the Alte Pinakothek, Munich (W. Sumowski, Gemälde der Rembrandt-Schüler, III, 1983, p.1546, fig.1053), Paulus Potter, including 'Landscape with peasant family and cattle' (A. Walsh, B. Broos, E. Buysen, Paulus Potter, 1994/5, p.68, fig.1) and Jan van der Heyden's 'View of the Herengracht', private collection Great Britain (H. Wagner, Jan van der Heyden, 1971, p.70, no.14). In 1859 W. Burger catalogued the collection (W. Burger, Galerie d'Arenberg à Bruxelles, 1859). Prince Auguste d'Arenberg is further renowned for his correspondence from 1788-1791 with Mirabeau, published in Brussels in 1851.