24 November 1992
Circle of Herman Saftleven (1609-1685)
A View along the River Rhine at Oberwesel with the Ruins of Castle Schönburg on a Cliff at the right, Castle Gutenfels and the Pfalz on the left, the Town of Kaub beyond
with inscription 'by over Wesel gaub /& Paltz' (verso); black lead, brown wash, grey ink framing lines
192 x 250 mm.
Private collection, Amsterdam, 1977
Contact Client Service
New York +1 212 636 2000
London +44 (0)20 7839 9060
Asia +852 2760 1766
W. Schulz, Herman Saftleven, Berlin/New York, 1982, no. 722
Utrecht, 1978, no. 94 (as H. Saftleven)
Bremen/Braunschweig/Stuttgart, 1979/80, no. 116 (as H. Saftleven)
Dr. Wolfgang Schulz has pointed out that Castle Schönburg, now restored, was only destroyed in 1689, thus giving a terminus ante quem of four years after Saftleven's death for the present lot.
The towers on the right are those of the St. Martin church and its Wernerkapelle at Oberwesel, dating from circa 1300. Castle Gutenfels was ruined in the 19th Century and rebuilt in 1886.
An attribution to Willem Schellinks has been suggested
See illustration on p.
From the Costa Smeralda to Cannes via Monte Carlo — all from Christie’s International Real Estate
From woodcuts to lithographs and originals vs editions. Illustrated with works sold at Christie's