The panels follow the compositions of the paintings by Jan van Bijlert in the Musée d'Arts Décoratifs, Saumur (see P. Huys Janssen, Jan van Bijlert 1597-1671, Amsterdam, 1998, pp. 95-6, nos. 4-6, illustrated). According to Huys Janssen, this series was executed twice by Bijlert and twice by his followers. The first of the latter group, by the unknown painter Nicolaas Dubbelwoorst was commissioned by the St. Job's Gasthuis, Utrecht in 1636; the present location, as well as the measurements, of that series is unknown. The second, attributed to Hendrick Coster (on panel, 41 x 31 cm.), was sold anonymously, Frederik Muller, Amsterdam, 1 May 1944, lot 54.