We are grateful to Mr. Ludwig Meyer, who has identified this hitherto unpublished panel as dating from circa 1480 from the circle of Peter Murer, one of a family of artists working in the Lake Constance region in the second half of the 15th Century. It originally formed the right wing of a triptych of The Crucifixion: Christ's flapping loin cloth can be seen at the left edge of the present composition. Two other panels by the same artist as the present work, depicting Saints Ursula and Catherine and Saints Barbara and Dorothea, are in the Fürstenberg collection (inventory nos. 10-11, see V.C. Grimm and B. Konrad, Die Fürstenberg Sammlungen Donaueschingen, Munich, 1990, no. 9, illustrated pp. 112-3). Another comparable work from the Murer workshop is the Raising of Lazarus in the Museum zu Allerheiligen, Schaffausen (see M. Bendel, Zerstörter Schaffhauser Kunstbesitz aus dem Museum zu Allerheiligen, p. 10, illustrated p. 11).