The present lot derives from the picture by Subleyras of 1747 for St. Peter's Rome, which was later replaced by a mosiac copy and moved to Sainte-Marie-des-Agnes, Rome, in 1752. Numerous studies, studio versions and copies of the composition are known, dependant either on the finished picture, the sketch now in the Louvre, or the reduced autograph (?) version in the Hermitage. The present work can be added to a small group of pictures reliant on the former; other versions of this type were sold at Semenzato, Venice, 1 June 1985, lot 74 and at Christie's, Rome, 15 December 1970, lot 120 (see P. Rosenberg, in the catalogue of the exhibition, Subleyras, Paris, Musee de Luxembourg, 20 February - 26 April 1987, and Rome, Acadamie de France, 18 May - 19 July 1987, pp. 332-343).