The composition is taken from an engraving by Vrancx of 1606 (F.W.H. Hollstein, Dutch and Flemish Etchings, Engravings and Woodcuts, Amsterdam, 1947, XI, p. 219, no. 61). That dating places the engraving to shortly after Vrancx's return from Italy, where he worked from circa 1596-1601; the influence of his contemporaries there, and in particular of Paul Bril, remains evident here in the Italianate buildings and ruined peristyle in the background. Another painting depicting the left side of the composition was offered for sale, Phillips, London, 11 December 2001, lot 4, as 'Attributed to Peeter Stevens II.'