Walter Francis Montagu-Douglas-Scott (1806-1884), 5th Duke of Buccleuch and 7th Duke of Queensberry, built at his own expense a pier and breakwater at Granton, Edinburgh, on the estate of his house, Caroline Park. He was advised by the lighthouse engineer Robert Stevenson, and the harbour opened in 1838, with work continuing until 1863, creating further breakwaters and quays.
Granton Castle was demolished in the early 20th century, but Caroline Park still stands. In 1921, the house was sold to A.B. Fleming & Co. who owned printing ink works nearby and was used as their Head Office until 1966.