Dated 1751, this painting was executed by Vernet the same year that he returned from Italy to France. It is associated with two entries listed in Ingersoll-Smouse, 334 and 334 bis, although it is not clear that there are two separate paintings. The present painting's dimensions are nearly identical to that of no. 334, and it is definitely the painting that was included in the 1907 sale (that catalogue includes a photograph of the work). However, the description of 334bis is best describes the present lot, although the dimensions are not listed.