COMPAGNIA DEL SANTISSIMO SALVATORE -- Libro nel quale sonno annotate tutte le Caducità spettanti alla Compagnia del Santissimo Salvatore ad Sancta Sanctorum et suoi Hospital di Roma. [Rome]: 1 December 1628
2° (323 x 202mm). 187 leaves (156 blank), manuscript on paper, title and alphabetical register of benefactions and bequests to the Compagnia in a neat bookhand, capitals in red, title signed by the archivist, Alimonte Bona Faccia (Light browning, offsetting and spotting throughout.)
BINDING: Italian red morocco, last quarter of the 17th century, by the Andreoli brothers' workshop for the Compagnia del S. Salvatore, with the gilt arms of the hospital and those of the four governors, Girolam Mignanelli, Mario Cenci, Ludvico Matthei, and Albero Camorlengo, encorporating cherubim and rosehead tools and with cornice at head of frame, round spine gilt-lettered 'LIBRO/DE/CADU-/CITA' and with repeated cherubim tool, gilt edges (remnants of ribbon ties, extremities rubbed, wear to corners).
A VERY HANDSOME AND STRIKING ROMAN BINDING BY GREGORIO AND GIOVANNI ANDREOLI FOR THE COMPAGNIA DEL S. SALVATORE. The binding on a copy of G.B. Fenzoni's Annotationes [sic] in statua ... Romanae urbis (Rome, 1636) is decorated with five coats-of-arms, those of the City of Rome and of the three Conservatori and the Priore del Caporioni (Legatura Romana Barocca 1565-1700, 1991, no. 44). For the outer border of the present binding, see Legatura Romana Barocca, pl. 62. The Compagnia del Santissimo Salvatore was responsible for conserving an ancient painting on wood of Christ, said to have been the work of angels and an object of great veneration. This relic was held within the Sancta Sanctorum, the Pope's private chapel in his cathedral in Rome, the basilica of S. Giovanni in Laterano (originally named the basilica of the Saviour). The Confraternity grew to be one of the most powerful of its kind, and became involved in other activities. In 1348 they enlarged and conjoined two existing hospitals beside the Basilica to found the Hospitalis Salvatoris, serving piligrims and the sick of Rome.