Constant Permeke is considered to be one of the foremost artists of the Flemish Expressionist movement. He was born as the son of a landscape painter, but unfortunately his father had never reached great artistic height. The Permeke family moved to Ostend in 1892 where Constant's confrontation with the North Sea bound the artist to the Flemish landscape forever. In 1906 he moved to the city of Ghent for his military service. There he enrolled at the academy and made the acquaintance of artists such as Gust and Leon de Smet and critic Paul Gustaaf van Hecke.
Following the completion of his military service in 1908, Constant retired to Ostend. Together with Gust de Smet he moved into a room in the Kraaistreet. Due to a confrontation with the harshness of a fisherman's life they ceased the use of light colours and turned to a darker pallet which enabled them to convey their emotions.
In 1912 Constant Permeke marries to Maria Delaere, his 'Marietje'. They settled in the Vuurtoren-neighbourhood, amidst the harsh but close-knit fisherfolk.
During the First World War Permeke was injured on the battlefield and he, and his family were transported to England where they remained until 1919. After returning to Ostend his career grew and in the 1920s he received recognition abroad. The present lot dates from this period in the artists' oeuvre.